Sunday 6 January 2013

Another Iris

These lovely flowers continue to draw me with their beautiful colours and markings, and so much praise must go to Clay Perry who photographs them with a truly magical approach. The photo used as source material for this painting comes from the  book simply called 'Iris' by Claire Austin, in which Clay has produced all the photographs.


                                                  'Sweet musette'

I reverted back to a previous way of painting, by doing the drawing and painting the flower first and adding the background later. I am not sure why I did this, but regret it in that the painting immediately tightened up. Something I have been trying to avoid recently.

I am sorry there are no 'stages' to share with you, but for some reason the photos got deleted from the camera card! The vagaries of modern technology or just my incompetence!


                                                   Fabriano Extra White 'Rough' paper
                                                   Watercolour with Acrylic Gouache
                                                                28cm x 38cm


As a complete contrast, this week's subject at Avon Valley Artist's Group was 'Sweets and Cakes'




Great fun to do as it enabled me to use pure colour and some of the pigments in my palette that I do not get to use too often. I wish I had remembered to take my Indian Ink with me as I would have liked the background to be really black. There is time for me to go over it as I will not be framing it, but it might find its way into the bargain browser in the exhibition!

9 comments:

  1. Like both paintings. the Iris tight or not is beautiful and sometimes a change is OK when it works out so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Lorraine. AVA is great for making one attempt subjects which are not ones usual choice. One of its major strengths!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating cropping and compositional choices made here that create a different emphasis to that in the photograph and I think the choices work well. Whilst parts of the image are tight, you have achieved a loosening in the upper part of the picture. Another gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mick. I picked up the advice about cropping any flower paintings from a dear member of AVA who is no longer with us. If he ever included floweres of any sort in a painting he always had it or them disappearing off one of the edges.It seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Iris is certainly beautiful with your usual sure touch but I prefer the `looser' approach of many of your other recent works. Lovely colours.

    The colours are also lovely in the `sweets' painting - very vibrant - but on the busy side?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peter. I am aware that I have not yet reached a point where a 'loose' result is a sure thing, but I will keep at it.
    The 'Sweets' was just a bit of fun, but I did enjoy the morning doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both paintings are fantastic, bright and colorful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jane. I am glad you like them both

      Delete
  7. Gracias por tu hermoso comentario

    ReplyDelete